Saturday, August 16, 2014

Welcome to my blog

I've been passionate about building a robot for a while. Not just a simple one, but one that would actually be able to do something useful. Lots of ideas have crossed my mind... but I decided to start with something fairly simple: A robot that will be able to track its location, without any prior knowledge of its surroundings. Watch this blog to see what comes out of it, but notice that I'll try to not only cover the essentials, but will report about the practical advancements I make.


A nice supply of batteries, delivering 7.2 V at 3000mAh. The Raspberry Pi I'm planning to use is pretty picky about voltage, so I'm using a voltage regulator to deliver a stable 5V via a custom made USB power-plug cable. To get a USB plug, I recycled a mobile phone charger (be careful with this, the condensators in chargers and power adapters may remain charged for quite a while!)


















While I was at it, I also did some further recycling work: The thingy below used to be a DVD burner. I turned it into a pile of parts, some of which are stepper and servo motors. Just the stuff I might need later on.






And this is the first tangible result: The wiring is pretty much complete at this stage, but so far the robot is missing any kind of sensor at all. 




No comments:

Post a Comment